Sunday, September 11, 2005

T.G.I.S.

Well the week is over and I made it through alive. Wish I could say that I was able to clean out my workload and not have to go back to a mountain on Monday, but C'est la vie.

At least my art batteries are starting to fill up a little. I can always tell when I'm getting "too" artsy with the computer - I begin by trying to replace my Windows shell. If you're not sure what this is check out sites like Customize.org, Wincustomize.com and Shell City.

Basically there is a whole grass roots movement out there of artists and programmers that are creating all manner of replacements and improvements to Windows from nice icons and wallpaper to wholesale replacements of the windows GUI.

In the past I have used many shell replacements like LiteStep, Talisman and Hoverdesk to completely change how my system looks and works. To get what I mean imagine if your desktop had almost no icons on it, but it had a clock whose hands moved and kept the actual time... or a silver sphere in the center of your screen that when you click on it, your most recently used program icons whirled out around it for your use. Shell customizing allows you to do all kinds of crazy stuff that Windows was never really designed to do. Not that it can't... it just doesn't (thanks Microsoft)

I decided to err on the side of caution thsi time and not complete slag my system (as I have done many times in the past - it can be quite addicting onc eyou start tweaking windows ;))
So I am sticking with a great little utility called Object Dock. Object dock can replace or work with your task bar. It has a lot of cool little features and allows me to organize a lot of programs along the bottom of my computer for quick access. I am loving it. There's a free version available or for $20 you can have the full featured thing which includes many cool features.

The upside is that I should get to working on an actual website now for Dirty Unciorn Games (yeah!). The downside is I spend a lot of time creating little icons and organinzing shortcuts. Productivity sure does take a lot of work! :D


My ObjectDock - if you look close you can see little Flatlands and 12 to Midnight links hehe ;)

No comments: