Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Gaming slump...

Ugh work can drain the life out of you!

Over the weekend I was bursting with creativity. Overflowing with enthusism. As the long weekend faded so did my hope.

When I finally settled down into my chair on Tuesday morning, two hours late for work, the inevitable began... Like a salt-sucking monster from Star Trek, work began to drain the creative life force from me. It squeezed me like a lemon until I was a dried out crusty, rusty, discarded automaton at the end of the day.

It didn't help that every nice time extension I had received BEFORE the holiday weekend was suddenly yanked out from underneath me when I returned. Now I need to send four huge magazine columns much sooner than anticipated. On top of a mountain of other work. In fact in order to get everything done I will require a time machine or some other device for warping space & time. :P

When everything was said and done I was ready to blow off some mental steam and I was craving some gaming (something I dearly miss) . It was sheer luck that I stumbled across Temple of Elemental Evil at the local bargain-mart. I remembered playing a 100 time limit demo if this game last year and it was a lot of fun. Put out by Troika games, this is one of the few computer RPGs that uses turn based combat instead of click-fest mania. Best $10 I could spend right now as it affords me some pseudo-roleplaying (although roleplaying by yourself feels a bit like mental masturbation, pleasurable but short lived. Hope I don't go blind ;)

Of course playing computer isn't very productive, but sometimes you just have say phuck it and recharge the batteries.

I think everybody "self medicates" in some form or another to kill their doldrums. Some people smoke, some people drink, some take drugs (legal and illicit)... for me it's computer games. I like to unplug from real life for a while and let a pixel fantasy world keep stress and boredom at bay.

If I can just make it through this week I know there will be light at the end of the tunnel.

Alright enough talk. Kromm the Barbarian decrees that the blood God needs more Orc sacrifices to sate his fury so I'm off to save the world... or at least Hommlet.

No comments: